Friday, June 3, 2011

My Holy Trinity of Thrift Stores

If you love to shop like me, then you know that shopping for authentic, mint-condition vintage is work!

Coordinating your wardrobe and transforming your closet to accommodate your evolving taste in clothes, shoes and accessories isn’t easy and you have to be prepared.  I mean the kind of preparaed that takes packing food in your car, also some baby wipes and hand sanitizer in your cross-body satchel!

I'm a Thrift Road Warrior, with only three stores to choose from...My Thrifty Holy Trinity are so reliable and easy on my wallet...I would lay my right hand on the Bible and swear by them!  Here’s a nice run down of my loves:

Community Aid
It has everything a thrift store should: easily accessible location, big parking lot, 50% off sales almost  every day, large quantities of gently discounted but high quality goods…and the best Wacky Wednesday in town.

I’ve garnered the most inspiration, clothes and shoes from this one store. There’s never a day when I go to “browse,” that I don’t find some piece that would suit my flourishing throwback Spring wardrobe perfectly.  Just this last Wednesday I acquired these lovelies...
Authentic 70s Party Dress for $1.00...AND it's in perfect condition
Cream Floral Blouse from Foxcroft for $1.50
Sheer Black and White Blouse from H&M - $2.00

Sheer Cream Blouse for $1.50
•Salvation Army
The second most important store to me is the Salvation Army that’s 2 miles away from my abode. It’s filled with goodies as soon as you enter and it’s the place where if I go looking for something specific whether it be a brown braided belt, cross-body satchel or floral skirt, I will go home victorious.
And, not only does it have the second largest amount of skirts and dresses out of the three, it carries accessories that aren’t locked behind a glass case.

Faux Jade and Flower - $3.99
Goodwill
It’s half the size of the other three stores in the area, there isn’t much in this store and the prices are close to co-signment store prices than a thrift store.  But, what my local Goodwill lacks quantity and low prices, it makes up with the quality of clothes and accessories.  Even though...I have nothing spectacular to share with all of you...nothing has been worth me buying.  Wah.  :(

But I have one gripe...Now I understand that thrift stores can only offer the quality and quantity that's donated. And, Goodwill has better stock thanks to partnerships with stores like Target, Gap and the Bon-Ton (department stores) for items that wouldn’t sell, unlike the other thrift stores. But, that doesn’t mean the prices should reflect that. The whole point of a thrift store is to offer deep discounts to reel in consumers and the proceeds go to charity.  If you want people to come in, you offer deep discounts, with additional percentages off without having to buy a discount card.

No comments:

Post a Comment