Friday, July 29, 2011

Thrift Gold Mine: Volunteer of America's 10 for $10

Volunteers of America is one thrifted store that is undervalued and unappreciated.  It's my little secret weapon for jewelry.

I went there last Thursday after the post work traffic and after my migraine/allergy/body ache tri-fecta subsided.  The stores weekly 10 for $10 sale was exactly what the fashion doctor ordered.

First this rainbow spaghetti strapped dress with only the "union made" tags attached.  I would say it's early 60s...

Then this royal blue midi shirt dress that's clearly from the 70s.


This mint green shirt dress. It's missing a belt and is extremely boxy without it; luckily I have several brown braided belts.  I also tucked the dress into a printed skirt that has tiered teal green border.  (That picture will be in an upcoming post!  ;) )


This black dress doesn't look like anything special at first glance, in fact it looks 2 sizes too big but somehow it fits! Its a typical 70s party dress, a-line skirt, elastic in the waist to cinch and billowy up top. But, I know something you don't know...the lace hits my chest so perfectly that I called a professional seamstress to have a fitting done asap!



Now onto the blazers. These two were a serious steal. The first is a perfect condition, black polyester jacket with sateen finish by David Benjamin (whose clothing can be found on ebay).



Then there's this perfect fire engine red Pendelton blazer, which should go for about $250.  And look at those beautiful buttons!























And of course I also found some skirts to add to mystery growing skirt collection. LOL. First this scarlet red midi-maxi skirt that has the most peculiar, but flattering, upside-down handkerchief design at the waist.



And second skirt is out of my fashion comfort zone because of the fruit/flower pattern all over the skirt. I know, it's too sweet. Too flowery...too pink. But I loved how it sits on the curves of my body. I'll make it work somehow. ;D


Lastly, this navy blue blouse by Woolco. It's bright and simple; absolutely perfect shirt to pair with a snazzy skirt.


That's it. I know you only see 9 pieces but the 10th was a tan slip. Thanks to Volunteers or America for your super thrifty sales and divine jewelry.

I hole you guys enjoyed my first Dollar Day haul.  I know I did.  ;D

Keep on thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment